Saturday, March 29, 2014

Le these de SC Wang (1920)

Two weeks ago in New York I had lunch with my friend Patrick W., who is a professor at the University of Paris-1.  I told him that my grandfather had received his PhD from the Sorbonne, but I didn't know much about it other than that his interest was in constitutional law.  Patrick whipped out his iPad and located the thesis in the law library's online catalogue.  Now that I am in Paris, we met at the library and went to find the thesis.  This is the door to the library on Rue Cujas, across from the Pantheon.  P. said that my grandfather probably wrote his thesis in this library.




The stacks are closed to the public but P. got me in. We went down to the stacks.... et voilá. "Distribution of powers in federal constitutions," by Wang Shih-Chieh (王世杰, Wang Shijie), 1920.  His advisor was Ferdinand Larnaude, the eminent Dean of the Faculty of Law.  The cover page records the defense on Tuesday, June 15, 1920, at 2 o'clock in the afternoon.  P. said it's very well written. I will make a copy.


Below is the building that was the old site of the University of Paris Faculty of Law. It's directly across from the Pantheon;  both were designed by Jacques-Germain Soufflot in the mid-18 century.  (Dome under repair so shrink wrapped). 





No comments: